I am a biochemist with a fascination for the brain. I conduct research to understand the molecular interactions between brain proteins and drugs that alter human behavior and experience.
If you are a Skidmore College student and are interested in working in my group, please view my research synopsis.
You can meet a few of our team members in our recent video profile from Skidmore's Scope Magazine.
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Skidmore College - 2012–present
Faculty Development Grant
Skidmore College - 2013
Career Launch & Acceleration Workshop Award
COACh - 2012
President's Young Investigator Award
ISBRA - 2010
Earl C. Anthony Graduate Fellowship
UCSF - 2001–2
- Invited Talks
- Selected Conferences
Platform Co-Chair, Philadelphia, PA - 2013
Symposium Chair & Talk, Sapporo, Japan - 2012
Society for Neuroscience Nanosymposium Chair & Talk, Washington, DC - 2011
Pomona College (TA) - 2000
Pomona College (TA) - 1998–9
AMC Biomedical Sciences Club Career Symposium Speaker - 2013
SEE-Beyond Program Faculty Development Committee - 2012–present
- Howard RJ, Trudell JR, Harris RA (in press) Seeking structural specificity: direct modulation of pentameric ligand-gated ion channels by alcohols and anesthetics. Pharmacol Rev.
- Heusser SA, Howard RJ, Borghese CM, Cullins MA, Broemstrup T, Lee US, Lindahl E, Carlsson J, Harris RA (2013) Functional validation of virtual screening for novel agents with general anesthetic action at ligand-gated ion channels. Mol Pharmacol 84: 670-8.
- Broemstrup T, Howard RJ, Trudell JR, Harris RA, Lindahl E (2013) Inhibition versus potentiation of ligand-gated ion channels can be altered by a single mutation that moves ligands between intra- and intersubunit sites. Structure 21: 1307-16.
- Sauguet L*, Howard RJ*, Malherbe L, Lee US, Corringer P-J, Harris RA, Delarue M (2013) Structural basis for potentiation by alcohols and anaesthetics in a ligand-gated ion channel. Nature Commun 4: 1697. *These authors contributed equally to this work. Featured article, AAAS EurekAlert!
- Spurny R, Billen B, Howard RJ, Brams M, Debaveye S, Price K, Weston D, Strelkov S, Tytgat J, Bertrand S, Bertrand D, Lummis S, Ulens C (2013) Multisite binding of a general anesthetic to the prokaryotic pentameric Erwinia crysanthemi ligand-gated ion channel (ELIC). J Biol Chem 288: 8355–64.
- Murail S, Howard RJ, Broemstrup T, Bertaccini EJ, Harris RA, Trudell JR, Lindahl E (2012) Molecular mechanism for the dual alcohol modulation of Cys-loop receptors. PLoS Comput Biol 8: e1002710.
- Johnson WD, Howard RJ, Trudell JR, Harris RA (2012) The TM2 6′ position of GABA(A) receptors mediates alcohol inhibition. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 340: 445–56.
- Howard RJ, Murail S, Ondricek KE, Corringer P-J, Lindahl E, Trudell JR, Harris RA (2011) Structural basis for alcohol modulation of a pentameric ligand-gated ion channel. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 12149–54. Featured article, Nature Structural Biology Knowledgebase.
- Howard RJ, Slesinger PA, Davies DL, Das J, Trudell JR, Harris RA (2011) Alcohol binding sites in distinct brain proteins: the quest for atomic level resolution. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35: 1561–73. Featured article, AAAS EurekAlert!
- Howard RJ, Clark KA, Holton JM, Minor DL (2007) Structural insight into KCNQ (Kv7) channel assembly and channelopathy. Neuron 53: 663–75.
- Walden H, Podgorski MS, Huang DT, Miller DW, Howard RJ, Minor DL, Holton JM, Schulman BA (2003) The structure of the APPBP1-UBA3-NEDD8-ATP complex reveals the basis for selective ubiquitin-like protein activation by an E1. Mol Cell 12: 1427–37.
- Blackwell HE, Sadowsky JD, Howard RJ, Sampson JN, Chao JA, Steinmetz WE, O’Leary DJ, Grubbs RH (2001) Ring-closing metathesis of olefinic peptides: design, synthesis, and structural characterization of macrocyclic helical peptides. J Org Chem 66: 5291–302.